The Swimming Trust has donated £5,000, which, in partnership with Swim England, has been allocated equally among the selected schools – which will now set about creating new teams and growing the sport.
The initiative is part of the Swim England Water Polo strategic goal of doubling the number of registered players in the sport in the next five years.
Equipment such as balls, hats, and goals can be purchased or the money may be used to pay for the hire of swimming pools, for example.
The successful schools and recipients of the funding are:
- Applemore College, Hampshire
- The Astley Cooper School, Dacorum
- Avon Valley College, Wiltshire
- Bradley Stoke Community School, South Gloucestershire
- Braeburn Primary and Nursery School, Scarborough
- The Marlborough Science Academy, Hertfordshire
- The John Warner School, Hertfordshire
- Westfield Academy, Yeovil
- Coombe Wood School, Croydon
- Elizabeth Woodville School, Northamptonshire